Your local funeral director will be able to assist you with the compilation and insertion of death announcements and acknowledgments in your local and/or national newspapers.
Please note that some newspapers may dictate the length, format and style of the newspaper announcement. Your funeral director will advise you appropriately along with an indication of the cost of the announcement.
The common inclusions of a newspaper announcement are outlined below:
- Surname (this usually appears first)
- The first name of the deceased
- When (for example - On August 15th 2008, the day of the week is usually omitted)
- How (for example – peacefully, after a long illness, suddenly…)
- Where (for example – at home, in hospital, in a nursing home…)
- Age (only if desired)
- Husband / Wife of (for example – Beloved / Much loved / Loving Husband of…. Insert name, only if desired)
- Address (please consider security issue of using full address, you can just state town or region)
- Other relationships (for example – Father / Mother of… Grandad, Grandmother, brother, sister, etc)
- Funeral day and time
- If funeral flowers are required (for example – family flowers only or no flowers by request)
- Donation details if being accepted (for example – Enquiries to…. Or direct to chosen charity)
Ask your local funeral director for help and support in preparing and publishing an obituary notice.